Sunday, September 11, 2011

Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole!

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when it came time to make this recipe. Typically my experience with french toast casseroles has been "bleck". They usually turn out soggy in the middle, which makes me tend to overcook the casserole trying to get the middle cooked. Well, let me tell you that my friend Paula Deen knows how to make a casserole! (and I only wish she were my friend~I could just imagine her and I having coffee and swapping recipes......what fun we would have!).

I made this casserole for a work party we were having and the results were great! It was such a nice dish because you prepare it the night before and then bake it the next day.
Here it is.....
Cube up your bread and layer in a well greased (I used butter to grease the pan) 9x13~

Whisk eggs, milk, half & half, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla~

Pour egg mix over the bread crubes and cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in fridge until next morning! (Sorry no photo).
Pull your casserole out of the fridge and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mix up praline topping and spread over casserole.


Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. You can see I added blueberries to 1/2 the dish. I placed frozen berries on bread cubes before putting praline topping on.


Yummy, yummy, yummy! Paula recommends serving this with syrup. I thought it was plenty sweet without the extra syrup, but if your preference is extra sweet~serve yours with syrup.


Baked French Toast Casserole (adapted from Paula Deen)

1 and 1/2 loaves Pepperidge Farm Brown Sugar Cinnamon Swirl Bread (the thicker cut package), cubed.

2 C. Half and Half

1 C. Milk

2 Tbsp. Sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg


Praline Topping

1 C. Butter (2 sticks, softened)

1 C. Brown Sugar

1 C. Chopped Pecans

2 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend well.


DIRECTIONS: Cube bread and place in a well greased 9x13. In large bowl combine eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and beat with a whisk until blended. Pour mix over the bread cubes. Cover with foil and refrig. overnight. The next day, preheat oven to 350. Spread praline topping evenly over the bread adn bake for 40 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with syrup.

HAPPY EATING!

No comments:

Post a Comment