Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Fun New Christmas Toy and Skinny Baked Potato Soup!

Happy New Year, Everyone! I am glad to be back to the routine of work, school and schedules! I know it sounds crazy, but I am a person who functions well with a routine - I am a planner....not everything always goes as planned (like catching the oven on fire when using the self-clean function...no worries, the fire was contained to the oven and didn't escape and the oven still works!).

Anyhow, my in-laws graciously gave me a Bed, Bath and Beyond gift card for Christmas.....hello, can you say kitchen explosion store! I LOVE it. I purchased this handy little immersion blender or hand held blender...whatever you want to call it, it is the nicest thing! How did I not have one of these before! I am wanting to puree everything! (If only I had one of these when the kids were babies....they may have gotten more homemade baby food).
Check it out....

I bought it because of this recipe I found for a "skinny" baked potato soup. I am going to be trying to post some "healthier" recipe choices. Don't fret, I will still have tasty little tidbits, because a girl has to have her sweets and savories!
Here is the finished product of the soup...it heats up well and tasted great for my lunch today!

Skinny Baked Potato Soup (from Skinnytaste.com)
2 Medium Baking Potatoes, baked & cooled
1 Small head of cauliflower, stem removed and cut into florets
1 1/2 C. Fat Free Chicken Broth
1 1/2 C. 1% Reduced Fat Milk
1/2 C. Light Sour Cream
10 Tbsp. reduced fat, shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
6 Tbsp. Chopped Chives (I used green onions)
3 Slices Turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
DIRECTIONS: Bake potatoes at 400 for 1 hour; or until tender. Cool, peel and cut potatoes into chunks. Steam cauliflower with water in large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to the pot. Add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil. Using your hand blender, puree until smooth. Add sour cream, 1/2 the chives and salt/pepper. Cook on low another 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Serve hot, top with 2 Tbsp. cheese, chives and bacon. (This recipe makes 5 one cup servings).

If anyone is following Weight Watchers, this recipes old points=4, the new points plus is=5.

HAPPY EATING!

No comments:

Post a Comment